Saturday, May 27, 2017

Colours of Colorado

I've got two concepts to show off today, both on Colorado-based teams. It's been a while since I made these, but they're up there with my favourite concepts I've ever created.

First, a Colorado team still active, the Eagles of the ECHL.

They have one of the nicest minor-league logos ever, and colourful ones too. But they currently stick with these ugly uniforms, that don't use most of those colours and have black as a primary colour.

Most concepts just stick the blue-yellow-red pattern on a blue jersey, then make a white version, but the colours fight for dominance. To fix this, I did something I rarely do- kept the black primary. And dare I say it works?

On the black jersey, I slapped down the classic pattern, but also layered Blue Jackets-esque piping underneath it on the arms, replacing red with yellow.

I applied that pattern to a faux lace collar, then applied one-colour numbers. Needless to say, I used the wordmark-free version of their logo.

For the white jersey, I kept most of the black jersey: the hems, the pattern, the collar and the Blue Jackets-esque black full-length yoke, keeping the black dominant. For a final touch, I added a yellow outline to the back number.

Next up: the Colorado Rockies, a defunct NHL team that moved to New Jersey and became the classic looking Devils. They didn't have bad uniforms per se, but their colour balance wasn't too good either.

Naturally, I completely contradict everything I said about the Eagles' uniforms. I kept blue as a primary, and actually added another colour on the home jerseys: white.

This wasn't done without a reason; I feel the trick to this type of colour balance is to keep almost the exact same pattern on both jerseys, just with a few elements tweaked for consistency's sake.

On the blue jersey, I made the dominant, eye-catching pattern equal stripes of yellow and red. I spaced out a white outline on either side, and added a white hem.

I kept the collar simple yellow and red, but used white faux-laces and a white Adidas logo. White once colour numbers finish it off, once again.

On the away jersey, I kept the blue upper arm fill, and most of the striping pattern, but added a blue hem to balance it all out, plus blue one colour numbers.



What do you think?
Comment below!

No comments: